On the occasion of the 250th anniversary, historian and university professor Peter Eigner led a walking tour of the historic addresses of the stock exchange through downtown Vienna. In 1771, the first stock exchange traders arrived at the Kohlmarkt to trade government bonds. The purpose of founding the stock exchange was to strengthen confidence in the newly created paper money. After that, the Austrian National Stock Exchange moved many times in its 250-year history.
The first company headquarters was located at Kohlmarkt 12, where it remained until 1801. These were followed by Bauernmarkt 2-4 (1801-1812), Weihburggasse 4 (1812-1841 and 1843-1855 respectively) and Minoritenplatz 3 in Palais Ulfeld, whose present form is made up of parts of the Dietrichstein Palace and the Federal Chancellery. From 1855 to 1872, it found a home in the building now known as Palais Ferstel at Herrengasse 14, which was built with the intention of serving as a national bank and stock exchange building. From 1872, the Vienna Stock Exchange moved for five years to a temporary building in the form of a timber frame on Deutschmeisterplatz. This was followed by the completion of the historic building by Theophil Hansen, which is known to many as the "Old Stock Exchange" and still strongly characterizes the image of Vienna's Ringstraße. The company remained there for 121 years until 1998, when it moved to Strauchgasse 3 and Wallnerstraße 8. Since 2002, today's Vienna Stock Exchange has been located at Wallnerstrasse 8 in Palais Caprara-Geymüller, in a prime location in the first district.
For more than 20 years, trading has taken place fully electronically, and – just like back then – it creates transparency and trust through clear rules. Insights into stock exchange trading in the 21st century were provided by Christoph Boschan, CEO of the Vienna Stock Exchange, and Heike Arbter, Member of the Management Board of Raiffeisen Centrobank and Chairwoman of the Supervisory Board of Zertifikate Forum.